If you aren’t heading out to a romantic restaurant or sensual bar this year, stay in and spoil your loved ones with some special Valentine’s Day cocktails. We’ve turned to some of the best bartenders in the business to learn how to whip up dreamy cocktails at home.
From classic margaritas to start off the night to a lychee martini that’ll knock your socks off, here’s what to mix up this February 14th and beyond.
‘Rumble in the Jungle’, Amazonico
Nothing quite compares to a night out at Amazonico, what with its jungle wildlife, tropical foliage and exquisite entrees, but how about recreating the experience at home? Set the tone off with their famous Rumble in the Jungle cocktail.
It’s a fruity mix – just as you’d expect to find in a jungle – mixed with pisco, lemon, passion fruit and Cocchi Americano Vermouth.
* 20ml Pisco
* 20ml Lemon Juice
* 15ml Cocchi Americano Vermouth
* 15ml Passion Fruit Liquor
* 15ml Sugar Syrup
* Top up with Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label
1. Mix everything together in a shaker with ice except the Champagne. Shake hard and pour into a flute with a double strainer and top with champagne.
2. Paint the glass using sugar syrup and red coconut flakes – you can colour the flakes with a edible red powder.
Chillanto, Andrey Kornilov, head bartender of Moscow’s bar collection, SIDR
To get you in the Valentine’s Day cocktail mood, start with a fruity number from Andrey Kornilov, head bartender of Moscow’s most Instagrammable bar collection, SIDR. Andrey shares the secrets behind his favourite tipple, the Chillanto, a vibrant mix of gin, Prosecco, lemon juice, kiwi syrup and aloe juice.
Don’t forget to garnish it too so you can really wow your partner or Galentine with this special serve.
* 50 ml gin
* 15 ml kiwi syrup
* 50 ml aloe juice
* 20 ml lemon juice
* 100 ml prosecco
* Ice cubes
* Pink skeleton leaf for decoration
1. Pour the gin, kiwi syrup, aloe juice and lemon juice into a shaker with ice and whisk well. Place the ice cubes into an old-fashioned glass and pour in the shaker contents.
2. Add the Prosecco and mix lightly with a spoon. Decorate with a pink skeleton leaf before serving
Shiso and Pineapple – GŎNG at Shangri-La The Shard, London
Pretend you’re sipping this while staring out at the city sky high at Western Europe’s highest hotel bar GŎNG. The Shiso and Pineapple is a delicate blend of sweetness and acidity that’s sure to satisfy your sweetheart this Valentine’s.
Pineapple infused vodka is blended with gin, lillet blanc and pineapple juice for a tipple inspired by the tropics, and topped off with Shiso cordial for a subtle blush hue. This concoction is straightforward enough for a beginner to master and perfect for any partner who prefers life’s little luxuries ‘shaken, not stirred’.
* 30ml Pineapple Infused Vodka
* 15ml Porter’s Old Tom Tropical Gin
* 10 ml Lillet Blanc
* 30ml Pineapple Juice
* 15ml Shiso Cordial
* One egg white
1. Fill your shaker with ice and all ingredients.
2. Shake all ingredients vigorously for 10 seconds.
3. Strain through a sieve in a cocktail glass, and garnish with a flower on top.
Noburita Cocktail, Nobu Ibiza Bay
Floral in both its flavour and aroma, Nobu Ibiza Bay’s Noburita cocktail will leave you dreaming of warmer, sunnier days. Make this special cocktail for Valentine’s Day or simply save it for a celebration at a later date, this purple hued cocktail is beautiful in taste and appearance.
Don’t forget to snap up a photo of this one for your Insta because it’s sure to get those double taps reeling in.
* Lime Juice
* 20ml Italicus
* 50ml Aged Tequila
* 15ml Violet Syrup
* Lavender Bitter
1. Create a perfect harmony of flavours with 20ml Italicus, 50ml Aged Tequila and a splash of lime juice.
2. Once shaken together the tequila’s woody notes delicately balance out the botanical infusions of lime, rose and lavender.
3. Add a generous 15ml serving of Violet Syrup & a few drops of Lavender Bitter to give the cocktail it’s tantalisingly sweet flavour.
4. Add crushed ice, give it a final mix and serve in a tulip glass with an edible flower for the all-important visual wow factor.
Pink 75, Searcys
The Pink 75 is Searcys’ twist on the classic French 75. Made in collaboration with Lanique Spirit of Rose, the cocktail is made with a splash of rose liquor and beautifully garnished with rose petals. It totally oozes romance.
Top it with Searcys Selected Cuvée, available on their new Champagne online shop and can be delivered nationwide.
* 20ml Tanqueray gin
* 15ml Lanique Spirit of Rose
* 5ml Grenadine
* 20ml Searcys Selected Cuvée Brut
* Garnish with rose petals
1. Put all ingredients in a shaker, pour on a glass and and top up with Searcys Cuvée Rose.
2. Garnish with rose petals for a really romantic finish.
Fabio’s Classic Margarita, The Athenaeum
Nothing quite beats a classic margarita and where better to start your Valentine’s evening than with a fiery number from The Athenaeum.
If you can’t make it over to The Athenaeum this Valentine’s, you can still get your fix at home with this simple margarita recipe. Garnish your glass with a rim of chilli flakes, add in a couple of chilli slices and zap up the margarita with a splash of fresh lime juice, and you’ll be onto a winner.
* 40ml Tequila Jose Cuervo
* 20ml Lime Juice
* 20ml Kumquat Liquor
* 20ml Lychee Juice
* 3 Red Chilli Slices
1. Add 3 chilli slices to a shaker and muddle it.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and shake.
3. Double strain into a coupe glass.
4. Garnish with chilli powder or flakes and enjoy!
Lychee Martini, Pink Marmalade
Marmalade might not be the first ingredient that comes to mind when you’re on the search for a flavoured gin but this special Pink Marmalade batch really is delicious and intense in flavour.
Mix up a typical martini with this special lychee take. Top it with fresh raspberries to add a touch of red, the colour notably associated with Valentine’s Day.
* 50ml Pink Marmalade Gin
* 20ml Lychee Puree
* 50ml Lychee Juice
* 20ml Lemon Juice
* 1 Egg white
* 3 Raspberries on a cocktail stick
1. Pour all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
2. Shake hard for at least 12 seconds for the egg white to infuse and give the drink a foamy top.
3. Pour contents into a martini glass and garnish with 3 raspberries on a cocktail stick, balanced on the rim of the glass.
* This can be made without egg white for a Vegan alternative (Use 15ml of Pineapple juice instead of the egg white)
Oh Romeo, Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences & St James Court, a Taj Hotel
Inspired by Shakespeare’s most well known love story, Romeo and Juliet, this special cocktail embodies the love of Romeo for Juliet in every sip.
The Oh Romeo is usually found served at The Hamptons Bar at Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences and St James Court, a Taj Hotel. Recreate the recipe at home for a fruity Valentine’s treat, it’s sure to bring you some love, luck and passion to the special day.
* 20ml Gin
* 15mil Orange juice
* 10ml Campari
* 10ml Strawberry liqueur
* 10ml Elderflower cordial
* Top with Champagne
1. Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker, shake well and strain into a champagne flute.
2. Top with Champagne, sit back and enjoy.
Rhubarb Negroni, No.29 Power Station West
Reap all of the benefits of your favourite British ingredient, rhubarb, when you rustle up this Negroni recipe. It’s sweet mixed with the sharpness from the rhubarb, and totally delicious.
* 25ml Chase Rhubarb & Bramley Apple Gin
* 25ml Cocchi Americano
* 25ml Campari
* Stewed Rhubarb to garnish
1. Simply add 25ml of Chase rhubarb and Bramley apple gin to 25ml of Cocchi Americano or another vermouth, and 25ml of Campari.
2. To garnish, boil 3cm chunks of rhubarb in equal parts sugar and water. Allow to cool.
3. Serve the Negroni over ice, adding the garnish on top.
JOIN SLAY VIP LINGERIE CLUB
By The Handbook
By The Handbook