1) Uniform dressing: You can buy nondescript LBDs, cream-colored knits and dark wash jeans from anywhere. Having a handful of classic pieces in your closet allows for an array of looks that scream money.
2) Polished looks pricey: Messy will never equal “wealthy” at first glance, so keep things sophisticated with clean lines, polished accessories and neat hair and makeup.
3) The basics: If nothing else, invest in your shoes and bag. If you can’t afford to, carry a minimalist leather tote and wear simple ballet flats or loafers.
4) Keep it real: Do not wear fake leather. Ever. You’re fooling no one.
5) Logo is a no-go: Avoid putting brands on display. A purse covered in logos is nothing you want to be seen carrying.
6) Sweater weather: Drape your cardigan over your shoulders like our favorite ’80s prepsters.
7) Tip-top shape: If you’re going to wear something, make sure it’s still in good condition. Nicks and scratches on shoes, bags, or anything else you’re wearing are a no-no.
8) When it comes to sunglasses, listen to Jackie O: Wear tortoiseshell eyewear à la Jackie Kennedy.
9) Simply cinched: Cinching an oversized coat or classic button-down adds instant polish to any outfit.
10) Nail it: Keep eccentric nails to a minimum—just say no to neon polish and anything acrylic.
11) Dark denim: The darker the wash, the more sleek your denim looks.
12) Like a lady: Ladylike dresses that make you look like you just stepped out of a Kennedy family portrait give off an old money, new clothes feel.
13) Your scent can be just as wealthy as your look.
14) Draped in jewels: Don’t be afraid to put your jewelry front and center. From simple diamond studs to that borderline-gaudy statement necklace, this kind of jewelry ups the ante.
15) The “I have money” combo: Own a navy blazer. Own a turtleneck. Wear them together.
16) Status staples: Embrace conservative status symbols like Belgian Shoes and Gucci loafers.
17) If you don’t know, now you know: Two words: Camel. Coat.
18) Make sure it fits: Clothing is instantly downgraded when it doesn’t fit correctly. Stay away from items that swallow you whole or cut off circulation/create imprints in your skin.
19) It’s okay to be square: Gentlemen, always wear a pocket square. It’s a simple way to completely change the look of an ensemble.
20) Wear your pearls, girls: When in doubt, a classic strand of pearls adds elegance (and dollar signs) to your style.
21) Head to toe: Monochrome (read: all black everything) is the perfect way to give off that “everything I’m wearing is chic and cost a fortune” vibe.
22) Timing is everything: A nice watch is the ultimate power-play accessory, even if it can’t be a Rolex or Cartier Tank.
23) Into the wild: Tread carefully when it comes to animal print. There’s a fine line between a leopard-print heel and a zebra-print jumpsuit.
24) Hair apparent: Make sure your hair is clean and well-cut, and if you have the time, get a blow out.