With pineapples and bananas, these tropical cupcakes are the perfect spring dessert.
Time 1hr 30 mins
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. whole-wheat flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
4 oz. crushed pineapple in juice (about 1/2 cup)
2 large bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/2 c. toasted pecans, chopped
1 (1.5-ounce) package freeze-dried pineapple
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temp
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 c. confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 large pineapple, peeled and cored
12 large blueberries
* Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In a second bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, and vanilla. Stir in pineapple, bananas, and pecans. Fold into flour mixture until just combined.
* Divide evenly among the liners (about 5 Tbsp each) and bake until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 27 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
* In a food processor, pulse dried pineapple to make fine powder. Pass through a fine-mesh sieve.
* Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on low speed until smooth. Add sugar and beat on low speed to combine. Mix in pineapple powder and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until thickened, about 1 hour. Spread each cupcake with frosting.
* Cut pineapple into 1/4-inch-thick rings; cut each ring into 8 wedges. Create a flower on each cupcake by placing a blueberry in the center and surrounding with 4 pineapple petals.
PER CUPCAKE 480 CALORIES, 21 G FAT (7.5 G SATURATED), 5 G PROTEIN, 210 MG SODIUM, 71 G CARB, 3 G FIBER