For the choux pastry shells
* 1 cup water
* ½ cup butter
* 1 cup all purpose flour
* ¼ tsp salt
* 4 large or extra large eggs
For the white chocolate cream filling
* 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
* 2 cups whipping cream
* 3 rounded tbsp icing sugar powdered sugar
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
To prepare the choux pastry shells
1. Add the butter and water to a medium sized saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and quickly add the flour and salt all at once, stirring them in quickly to form a soft dough.
3. Cook this mixture stirring constantly for an additional 3 minutes.
4. Allow this mixture to cool slightly for about 10 15 minutes before adding the eggs, one at a time, stirring until smooth after each addition.
5. Cover and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
7. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls ( or pipe small mounds using a piping bag ) onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
8. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the puffs are golden brown and do not collapse when removed from the oven. These should be uniformly golden all over with no pale sides and sound hollow when tapped. Cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the white chocolate cream filling
1. Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler over gently boiling water. Let it cool to almost room temperature.
2. Beat the whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract to firm peaks.
3. Gently fold the melted white chocolate into the whipped cream.
4. Place the white chocolate whipped cream in a piping bag with a star tip or large round tip . Push the tip into the cream puff shell and fill the entire inside of the shell with the cream. If you do not have a piping bag you can also split the cream puff shells in half with a serrated knife and spoon the filling into the top and bottom halves and then putting them back together.
5. Freeze the cream puffs on a baking sheet for several hours or overnight. Move to an airtight plastic container if you are storing them longer than a day.
6. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of melted white chocolate if you like. Chocolate ganache dipped strawberries make a beautiful presentation with a plate of these cream puffs.
7. These are also excellent when made at half size as profiteroles and served at a dessert buffet.