No bake chocolate peanut butter protein bars that taste just like a peanut butter cup. This low carb protein bar recipe will be your new favorite snack to keep in your fridge and enjoy all week long!
These chocolate peanut butter protein bars are easy to make because there’s no baking required. All you need is an a pot or two, an 8×4 inch loaf pan, parchment paper and 7 simple ingredients:
peanut butter: you can use whatever kind of nut butter you’d like, just make sure it’s all natural (with no additives — just nuts + salt). I like Smucker’s, Santa Cruz, Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods natural creamy peanut butter.
honey: this unrefined sweetener is perfect for holding together + sweetening the bars. If you are vegan, I suggest using coconut palm syrup or date syrup.
coconut oil: you’ll only need a tablespoon of coconut oil!
vanilla extract: I’m such a vanilla lover, but if you find yourself out of vanilla, feel free to skip it!
flaxseed meal: flaxseed meal is just ground flaxseeds! I absolutely LOVE how it adds fiber + protein to these bars. It does give the bar a nice toasty flavor too.
protein powder: you can use plant based or a whey protein. My personal favorite is Vital Proteins collagen peptides (which is dairy free) but I also love aloha vanilla plant based protein powder for this recipe. Those are the two I highly recommend for flavor and consistency in this recipe.
dark chocolate: you can use your favorite brand of dark chocolate. I recommend theo, divine or alter eco brands. Alter eco has a lot of great dairy free/vegan options!
Optional: a little fancy sea salt for sprinkling on top.
These bars are seriously one of my favorite healthier treats to make because they’re so freaking easy and do NOT require any baking. They also make an excellent post workout snack or late afternoon pick me up as they happen to pack 9g protein.
Serves 10 210 calories
Type: No Bake, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
* ¾ cup natural creamy peanut butter (just peanuts + salt)
* ¼ cup honey (or coconut palm syrup, if vegan)
* 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/3 cup ground flaxseed meal
* 1/2 cup of your favorite vanilla or plain protein powder*
* 2.5 ounces your favorite 85% dark chocolate bar
* Coarse sea salt for sprinkling on top
1. In a medium bowl mix together peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, vanilla together until smooth. Add in ground flaxseed meal and protein powder of choice. Use a spoon to mix together until you can’t anymore, then use clean hands to help work together. The batter should be similar to cookie dough.
2. Press into an 8×4 inch pan lined with parchment paper.
3. Make the chocolate layer by adding 2.5 ounces of dark chocolate to a small saucepan and melting until completely smooth. Pour the melted chocolate over the peanut butter layer and tilt the pan so that the chocolate covers the peanut butter layer entirely. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes-1 hour before slicing into 10 bars or squares (either works but I love squares the most). Store covered in the fridge until ready to eat. Bars will keep for up to two weeks.
*Note: if the batter feels too dry, add ½ – 1 tablespoon of melted virgin coconut oil
For the protein powder: you can use plant based or a whey protein. My personal favorite is Vital Proteins collagen peptides (which is dairy free) but I also love aloha vanilla plant based protein powder for this recipe. Those are the two I highly recommend for flavor and consistency in this recipe.