Adele’s former sprawling country house has just come on the market in Horsham, West Sussex, for £5.75 million.
Lock House, which dates back to the 1900s, was the multi-award-winning singer’s home in 2011, where she lived until the following year. While Adele didn’t stay in the property long, it was the area she loved, as she went on to purchase an eight-bedroom house in East Grinstead (30 minutes away) shortly after.
* Substantial Country House dating from 1900
* Staff accommodation, guest cottage and extensive garaging
* Refurbished and extended in the 1930s, with many Art Deco features
* Recently further refurbished, including a leisure complex with indoor pool
* About 85 acres of gardens, grounds and land with tennis court and outdoor pool
About this property
* Lock House is a substantial country house built in about 1900 in the Vernacular Revival style. The property was refurbished and extended in the 1930s for the Harvey family, and in more recent years has been further reconfigured to provide a home of quality and comfort, complete with a leisure complex with indoor swimming pool. Many of the Art Deco features have been retained.
* The property is approached from the drive through a porte-cochere which leads to the fine reception hall with Jacobean style carved staircase.
* Features of particular note include the elegant south facing drawing room with marble fireplace and the Walnut Room with its beautiful panelling. The potential kitchen/family room occupies the former ballroom and is ideal for modern family life.
* The majority of the bedrooms are arranged in suites, including an extensive and luxuriously appointed principal suite.
* Including the adjoining three bedroom staff accommodation and leisure complex, the main residence extends in all to nearly 20,000 sq ft. In addition there is extensive garaging and a guest cottage.
* The gardens, grounds and associated land extend in all to about 84.75 acres.
* Agent’s Notes
* The property has been the subject of recent reconfiguration, therefore the accompanying floorplans are to be used as guide only and do not represent the current layout of the property.
* Please note that a number of the interior photographs are from 2012-14; the property is currently unfurnished. The photos of the kitchen are for illustration purposes only. They show the previous kitchen that has now been removed ready for the installation of a new kitchen of your choice.
* There are public footpaths within the boundary, please refer to the site plan and the Agent for further details.
* There is a Farm Business Tenancy agreement in place which expires in September 2023.
* Lock House is situated in an outstanding rural location, in the beautiful countryside of West Sussex. It is approached by a long private lane and has wonderful views to the South Downs.
* Despite the enviable rural setting, the property is not remote and local shopping facilities and amenities can be found in Partridge Green. The larger towns of Horsham, Brighton and Guildford are about 10, 16 and 30 miles respectively providing comprehensive shopping facilities.
* Fast and frequent mainline rail services operate from Horsham (London Victoria approximately 55 minutes), Brighton (London Victoria approximately 51 minutes and London Bridge approximately 56 minutes), Haywards Heath (London Bridge and London Victoria approximately 44 minutes). Gatwick airport 23 miles.
* The area is renowned for its exceptional private schooling, including Windlesham House, Cottesmore, Worth, Hurstpierpoint College, Christ’s Hospital, Farlington, Penthorpe, Lancing College, Ardingly, Brighton College and Roedean.
* Local sporting facilities include sailing along the south coast with marina facilities at Brighton Marina and Chichester Harbour. Horse racing at Plumpton and Goodwood, with Ascot and Epsom further afield. Polo at nearby Knepp Castle and Cowdray Park, and Guards and the Royal Berkshire at Windsor which are further afield.
* The internationally renowned Glyndebourne Opera House is in Lewes; Petworth Park and the Brighton seafront are within easy reach and there are wonderful walks across the South Downs.
* The A23, A24 and M23 give access to the M25 and national motorway network.
* All distances and times are approximate.
* Directions: From London take exit 9 of the M25 towards Dorking. At the roundabout take the third exit onto the A243, at the following roundabout take the second exit, at the next roundabout take the second exit onto A24. Proceed south on the A24, crossing straight over at the junction with the A272 and then take the first turning left, B2135 signposted to Partridge Green. Immediately after passing through the village of Partridge Green turn right signposted Lock Estate Private Road. Proceed for about half a mile and after crossing the river take the second drive on the right hand side.
* EPC Exempt
Guide Price : £5.75 million / $8.2 million