I’ve called these chocolate chip oatmeal cookie pancakes for a very plain reason: That’s exactly what they taste like. Only they contain no butter and no added sugar besides chocolate chips, and they can be made both gluten-free and vegan. They also contain almond butter for a healthy punch of protein for staying power throughout the morning.
Easy, 15-minute, 1-Bowl Vegan Pancakes that taste just like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie! Butter- and refined-sugar-free.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 5 pancakes
* 1 very ripe medium banana (~118 g)
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp (7g) flaxseed meal + 2.5 Tbsp (27 ml) water)
* pinch salt
* 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 Tbsp (16 g) almond butter
* 1 Tbsp (15 ml) canola oil (or coconut oil)
* 3 Tbsp (45 ml) almond milk (or sub other milk)
* 1/2 cup (45 g) rolled oats (or gluten-free oats)
* 1/4 cup (38 g) whole wheat or unbleached flour (or sub other flour)*
* 3 Tbsp (33 g) dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat a skillet to medium heat or about 300-325 degrees F (148-162 C).
2. Prepare flax egg by mixing flaxseed meal and water and letting set for 3-5 minutes.
3. Mash your very ripe banana with baking powder.
4. Add flax egg, oil, salt, vanilla, almond butter, and almond milk and stir.
5. Stir in oats and flour until just combined.
6. Sprinkle in chocolate chips and fold gently.
7. Scoop scant 1/4 cup measurements onto lightly greased griddle.
8. Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side – until golden brown.
9. Serve plain or with a small drizzle of maple syrup and a few additional chocolate chips for melting.
*Make gluten free by following this recipe.
*Should yield 5-6 small pancakes.
*Adding 1 Tablespoons of maple syrup, sugar, or agave nectar is optional for extra sweetening, but I didn’t find it necessary.
*Reheat great the following day in the microwave.